Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Resurrection

It's been years. I had another blog that was related to library technology, reader's advisory and teen books and let this one lapse.


I also was laid off in the fall of 2012 when my library district cut the entire web team (now I hear they are looking to have content librarians again next year when a new web site launches).


I left libraries for a more lucrative position but have a substitute position at a local library to keep my skills up.  Eventually I want to come back to libraries but I earn more money now and have two kids in college.


Had an experience last night that reminded me why I love being a librarian.  Since it might be several years before I am interested in returning to libraries full-time, I wanted to write it down.


I was at the teen desk.  The teen desk at this library is little more than babysitting the teens at the computers and gaming stations.  It's a rarity when someone wants a book and usually they know just what they want and I either locate it or place it on hold.


A girl came over to my desk. I asked if she needed help and she told me she was bored. She wanted a break from doing her homework.  Disarming her with my charm (um, my sarcasm), I said, "well, you happen to be in a library. There are these things here called books that are wonderful for boredom."


She smiled and said she really needed to do her homework. 


Me: What's the last book you read that you liked.


Girl: Peace, love and baby ducks


Me: So you like realistic fiction.


Girl: Shrug


Me (trying to figure out what she likes): Did you read "The Hunger Games"?


Girl: partly


Same scenario with Harry Potter (but she liked the movies)


Me: Do you like romance?


Girl: Nods


Me: I know just the book (luckily I had just been thinking about "The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Jenny Han and had seen all three of the series on the shelf."


Me: (after walking over, pulling it from the shelf and handing it to her. Now, trying to play it cool and walking away): Why don't you read a page or two and see what you think


The girl came back out from the stacks with a smile on her face. She told me she read the back cover and it sounds really good.  I told her if she likes it, there are two more books in the trilogy. 


This is why I love being a librarian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment